Have you ever not felt God? Recently, at church, our pastor talked about “losing that loving feeling”. If you’re old like me, you know the song – “You’ve lost that loving feeling, ooooh, that loving feeling…”
Well, lately I hadn’t felt God either. Thankfully, from many years in the “wilderness” I learned I won’t always feel the feels with God, but I know He’s there. I also know true love is not a feeling, it’s a choice.
Maybe you are there today. Maybe you don’t feel much of anything. Maybe you are going through the motions and are struggling. Maybe you have started to think this “God” thing isn’t real after all…even if you came to know Jesus….you are now questioning it all.
Here’s the bad news… You won’t always “feel” God. God is not an emotion or feeling- though He gave us emotions and feelings.
Here’s the good news… God is sovereign, and He is everywhere. He is with you when you feel it, when you don’t, when you kind of do, and when you don’t want to. If you have trusted Jesus (go here if you haven’t) God has not left you.
As humans, we may stray and leave Him, but He hasn’t moved one bit.
What do you do when you don’t feel God?
- Go back and remember your first love.
- Think about the day you accepted Jesus and the joy and elation you felt. The freeing feeling of being loved.
- Open God’s word and hear Him speak to you. Head to Ephesians 1 and read about who you are in Christ.
- Write down what God has done in your life, and what you are thankful for, and then read them aloud.
- Tell God how you feel – that you don’t feel Him – and ask Him why. Ask Him to help you see He is still there (I promise you He is) and to show Himself to you again. Be honest, He gave you your emotions and He understands.
Hang in there, you will not always feel God, but the amazing news is God isn’t a feeling! Feelings will come and go, God remains forevermore. He is the first and the last, the Alpha and the Omega. The beginning and the end!
© 2023 Susan M. Clabaugh with Encouragement in Daily Living LLC. All Rights Reserved.